Monday, August 24, 2009

ZUMBO ZUMBO ZUMBO

As a gastronome with a very savoury slant to my palate, it surprises even me, to have two posts out of four dedicated to sweets. This however was an almost spiritual experience...





Apologies for my crap photography not doing it justice but take my word for it that it was incredible.

Many of you may remember being introduced to the magic of Zumbo during Masterchef. Just seeing the contestants freak out over the task of remaking his croquembouche was TV at its best. The final four contestants had the daunting task of recreating his Chocolate Mousse Cake and after the show ended there was a ballot for 100 of these cakes made by Zumbo himself.





Random Pear, aka Food Blessed, managed to win cake no.3 and was kind enough to invite Junior and I over for the cutting ceremony. Random Pear's husband Taxman wasn't so sure he needed more food zealots in the house but he let us in the door anyway!










Random Pear and I commenced the ceremony by taking many many photos of each stage whilst ooh-ing and aah-ing the whole time. I did let slip that I took more photos of the cake than at their wedding and I am pretty sure Taxman and Junior just wanted to eat the damn cake already. Note: Where were the macaroons?

There were so many elements within the one cake and despite my non-sweet tooth, I had to have a piece of the magical cake. There was salted caramel, apples, blackberry, jaconde et al and all of them married so well together.

I believe one can attempt their own version by clicking recipe here but be warned, it is a big task.



Verdict: Zumbo is a genius and you should go visit him and you just may convert a fellow Savour Tooth like myself.


Adriano Zumbo Patissier
296 Darling Street
Balmain NSW 2041
(02) 9810 7318

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails