Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Who doesn't love a baked good?

This week's Good Living in SMH has proven to be a really good read  As much as I enjoy 'hatted' restaurant dining, I also appreciate the simple things in life... like a good sausage roll. There are some things that just make life better by being in it and puff pastry is one of them. Anything is improved if it's enveloped in golden, flaky, buttery puff pastry.

The Top 3 places to find the best sausage rolls as follows:
BERRY SOURDOUGH
Like me you may be fooled into assuming the list would be Sydney metropolitan centric but when Berry Sourdough was at the top of the list, it took me a second to realise we weren't talking blue, black or even straw but the actual town of Berry, about 2 hours drive south west of Sydney.
I can't very well miss out on an almost perfect sausage roll and fabulous sourdough (mmm sourdough) combo. 

SUMMER HILL VILLAGE PATISSERIE
Much closer to the city lights is the Summer Hill Village Patisserie. There is a pastry chef called Juan, you just know there's going to be no skimping on the buttery goodness of the puff.
Junior will undoubtedly be able to find a tasty sweet morsel to follow the sausage rolls.

BOURKE STREET BAKERY
Now the Marrickville operation is the centre piece of the sausage roll showcase. With classic options on offer, there is also Lamb & Harissa or Beef, Veal & Olive, to tempt the sausage roll lovers who want try more gourmet interpretations.

A local opportunity for a top quality sausage roll and sourdough (mmm sourdough) combo.
You can read the whole article here:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/entertainment/good-living/hot-sausage-rolls/2009/08/25/1251001894941.html

Verdict: Looks like Junior and I are going on a road trip.

1 comment:

  1. I object to Bourke stree bakery (or wank bank bakery as I like to call it). LAMB AND HARISS IS NOT A FUCKING SAUSAGE ROLL. IT IS A WANK. It's so Sydney to queue up outside a bakery to pay $6 for a SAUSAGE ROLL to have to then sit on a MILK CRATE IN THE GUTTER TO EAT IT. Anyway... I like my sausage roll meat mysterious and 70's like...

    Thanks. I feel better now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails